Step 1: Fill the glass shisha vase with water
- Do not over fill, leave room in the vase for the smoke.
-A rule of thumb is to leave the stem submerged about 2 inches in water.
-For a smooth smoke mix the water in your vase with a 1/3 of ice cubes.
Step 2: verify stem is firmly in place
- Check that the plastic seal between the vase and stem is in place to prevent smoke getting out and air getting in.
Step 3: Put tray on top of the stem
- You can use the tray to put charcoal on to replace used coal. Also catches any ash or other dirt.
Step 4: Attach the hose on to the shisha
- Shisha pipes can have several hoses attached. All hose ports should either have a hose on or sealed up so to not lose air and smoke.
- Some pipes have plastic part that makes a seal betweenthe hose and the pipe.
Step 5: Add tobacco to the bowl
- Mix the tobacco well before adding to the bowl.
- Add the tobacco in a consistent manner, slowly in small amounts. Not too tight so air has difficulty in passing down the bowl or too loose burning the tobacco.
- Leave 2 millimeters between the top of the shisha tobacco and the foil.
Step 6: Add aluminum foil on top of the bowl
- Cut the aluminum foil into a square roughly 2 inches larger than the diameter of the bowl.
- The shiny part of the aluminum foil goes face down.
- Make sure the seal is tight and the surface is flat.
Step 7: Add holes to aluminum foil
- Where you add the holes and the size of them on the foil will affect on the smoke produced.
-use an object with a sharp tip such as toothpick or pin.
- Holes underneath the charcoal will direct heat in to the bowl, while holes on the outside will allow air into the bowl producing more smoke.
- There are many different patterns you can use when making holes, for example in a circular fashion.
- Too many holes and the tobacco will burn a lot quicker while too few and the tobacco will not burn very well.
Step 8: Check the air flow
- Check that air is circulating well through your pipe by placing your hand on top of the bowl and sucking on the hose you should feel a downward force on your hand, if not check all connections that they are securely attached.
Step 9: Light charcoal
- To light quick light coals: Hold the charcoal with tongs somewhere safe, use a lighter on the corner of the coal and wait until it stops sparkling and making smoke. Blow on the coal till it is glowing orange.
- Put the coal on top of the foal and blow till the sides are orange as well.
- Never light the coal on top of the bowl as unwanted particles will reach the tobacco and change the flavour. - For natural charcoals use a stove to light them until they are orange.
Step 10: Smoke your shisha pipe:
- To start, pull on the hose to get the tobacco burning properly.
- Charcoal should be lit in a ventilated area and placed on the tray while being lit.
- Ensure the shisha pipe is stable before placing the charcoal.
- Ensure the shisha pi[e is placed on a flat surface.
- Use a tray to place the shisha to avoid the pipe from falling over.